Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Two Centurions Who Were Significant

This morning I am reflecting on two stories of two Centurions, one found in Luke 7, the other found in Acts 10.  I started in Luke, and was reminded of the other.  They are both stories of significant faith.  Here is the story found in Luke 7:1-10 NIV:

[1] "When Jesus had finished saying all this to the people who were listening, he entered Capernaum. [2] There a centurion's servant, whom his master valued highly, was sick and about to die. [3] The centurion heard of Jesus and sent some elders of the Jews to him, asking him to come and heal his servant. [4] When they came to Jesus, they pleaded earnestly with him, “This man deserves to have you do this, [5] because he loves our nation and has built our synagogue.” [6] So Jesus went with them.

He was not far from the house when the centurion sent friends to say to him: “Lord, don't trouble yourself, for I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. [7] That is why I did not even consider myself worthy to come to you. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. [8] For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, 'Go,' and he goes; and that one, 'Come,' and he comes. I say to my servant, 'Do this,' and he does it.”

[9] When Jesus heard this, he was amazed at him, and turning to the crowd following him, he said, “I tell you, I have not found such great faith even in Israel.” [10] Then the men who had been sent returned to the house and found the servant well."

I love the Centurion's understanding of the Kingdom reality, seen in verse 8.  He understands that Jesus has authority over sickness, and asks Him to command the sickness to leave.  This is a very appropriate request of Jesus, for He does have all authority and power (Matt 28:18) and he certainly has authority over sickness.  As representatives of Him, we do too!  That is how authority works!  When the Centurion sent his servant to do something, it was covered under his authority, and the servant could do things in his master's name.  Do we believe that Jesus still has authority over sickness?


The second story is a significant turning point in the life of the church, and really the whole world, and it also involves a Centurion with great faith.  Here are the verses I am reflecting on today - Acts 10:1-8,24-29,44-48 NIV:

[1] "At Caesarea there was a man named Cornelius, a centurion in what was known as the Italian Regiment. [2] He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. [3] One day at about three in the afternoon he had a vision. He distinctly saw an angel of God, who came to him and said, “Cornelius!”

[4] Cornelius stared at him in fear. “What is it, Lord?” he asked.

The angel answered, “Your prayers and gifts to the poor have come up as a memorial offering before God. [5] Now send men to Joppa to bring back a man named Simon who is called Peter. [6] He is staying with Simon the tanner, whose house is by the sea.”

[7] When the angel who spoke to him had gone, Cornelius called two of his servants and a devout soldier who was one of his attendants. [8] He told them everything that had happened and sent them to Joppa.

- for brevity, I left out several verses where  Peter has a significant vision and the men sent by Cornelius  arrive and they find Peter and convince him to come with them -

[24] The following day he (Peter) arrived in Caesarea. Cornelius was expecting them and had called together his relatives and close friends. [25] As Peter entered the house, Cornelius met him and fell at his feet in reverence. [26] But Peter made him get up. “Stand up,” he said, “I am only a man myself.”

[27] While talking with him, Peter went inside and found a large gathering of people. [28] He said to them: “You are well aware that it is against our law for a Jew to associate with or visit a Gentile. But God has shown me that I should not call anyone impure or unclean. [29] So when I was sent for, I came without raising any objection. May I ask why you sent for me?”

 - for brevity, I left out the verses where Cornelius recounts his experience and Peter starts to share the Gospel -

[44] While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. [45] The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on Gentiles. [46] For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Then Peter said, [47] “Surely no one can stand in the way of their being baptized with water. They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have.” [48] So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days."

This was clearly a divine coordinated event, for God sent visions to both Peter and Cornelius, coordinated so that as Peter is finishing his vision the men from Cornelius arrive at the very house he is staying at, looking for him.  What plays out in the following verses is the first wholly sanctioned conversion of Gentiles!  I love how in verse 44 the Holy Spirit doesn't even wait for Peter to finish talking!! 

I love this story for so many reasons, but today I am reminded of the huge leap of faith that was required on both Cornelius's and Peter's part.  Cornelius was inviting into his home one of the leaders of this group that was being persecuted and even put to death, as this happened after Stephen's martyrdom.  By accepting Christ, he was walking away from much of what He was committed to believe.   

Peter, on the other hand, was walking into a Roman Centurion's house, and he was well aware of the persecution that was burning brightly all around him.  At this point they may not have realized that Saul has experienced a conversion, so he might have been expecting that this was a trap laid out to capture him.  Regardless, Peter followed and trusted his faith in the Lord.  He realized that this was a divinely coordinated and inspired meeting.  He probably didn't know how significant it was going to be, but He obeyed what He was told to do. 

Again, this is a great example of authority, and obedience, out of faith.  Both men obeyed what they were told to do, and trusted God that He had a good plan, not a plan to endanger them.  Both men were willing to entrust their very lives to God.

Finally, as I was describing earlier, this is clearly a divinely inspired event.  God can do, and still does these very same things today.  I like to say that God's middle name is coincidence, as I don't believe things happen just by chance.  I believe that God can and will do the same things in our day!  Let us pray that the Lord orchestrates a quick end to this virus, and restoration of all that has been lost as a result.  Let us put our faith in God, and ask that He, in His power and authority, command an end to this all!   Let us pray that He sends help from Heaven, directs people's paths, connects the right people to one another, and protects all involved.  Let us pray that He releases a wave of healing unlike anything we have ever seen or heard about previously.  Let us pray for a turning point for our whole world!

Amen and Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment