Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

He Who Is In You Is Greater

This morning I am spending some time in 1 John, reflecting on a verse that was running through my head when I woke up.  However, I thought I would share a few verses from the preceding chapter, as they are very much in line with what I have been reflecting on, of late, and certainly worth some thought.

1 John 3:16-18,23-24 NIV:

[16] "This is how we know what love is: Jesus Christ laid down his life for us. And we ought to lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters. [17] If anyone has material possessions and sees a brother or sister in need but has no pity on them, how can the love of God be in that person? [18] Dear children, let us not love with words or speech but with actions and in truth."

[23] "And this is his command: to believe in the name of his Son, Jesus Christ, and to love one another as he commanded us. [24] The one who keeps God's commands lives in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us."

What great words to allow to affect our lives today!  Believe in Jesus and love one another, in actions and in truth.

So the phrase that was running through my mind this morning when I woke up is 1 John 4:4b NKJV:.."because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world."  I am not sure why I was quoting the New King James Version in my sleep, but that line was literally the first thought I had as I woke up this morning. 

I must say that it is a comforting thought, in these strange days where so much seems out of kilter.  In a matter of months so much of what has been our life experience has changed, and its seems that many have radically changed the way they think.  As we look at this new "reality" with natural eyes, we see a virus that is new and seemingly fast spreading, and may countries and states are taking basic precautionary measures, and these measures include shutting down much of society, to try and limit the spread of this virus. 

As Christians, we must also pray for understanding of the spiritual reality behind all of this, for we live in a world that is both natural and spiritual.  In our western mind-set, we often struggle to see with spiritual eyes, for we tend to dissuade ourselves and others that the spiritual realm is real, and yet the Holy Scriptures teach us consistently that there is a spiritual realm, and as such, we must accept this and seek to understand this realm.

John, said that the Holy Spirit which we have received is a sign that God lives within us, this is the first and most critical foundation of the spiritual realm for us to believe and understand!  We are triune beings, and we have our own spirit within us, from conception.  This spiritual part is in us all, and whether we understand it or not, it is present.  It is here that our connection to God exists, here that He lives and makes His home!

In the New Testament, the word spirit is used 360 times, and it is assumed that there is a basic understanding of this concept in the hearers of these words.  Jesus spoke regularly of the spirit realm, and often addressed spirits in people, casting them out, causing them to be silent with a command, and effectively dealing with those spirits.  He also spoke at length of the Holy Spirit coming to guide us, teach us, and help us!  He said the Holy Spirit was essential and even told the Apostles to wait in Jerusalem until He was poured out on them (Acts 1:4-5).

So why this focus on our spirit, the Holy Spirit and the spiritual realm? I believe that for us to understand these times and respond correctly we must look to the natural realm, as well as the spiritual realm.  We must learn to listen to the Holy Spirit, who is living inside of us!  This is the point of John's statement, He that is in us, living inside of us, is greater than the spirits that are in the world!  As we learn to listen and be led by the Holy Spirit, we will find our lives more in-tune with the actual movement of God.  We will find ourselves recognizing the pull and push of the spirits of the world, for they do seek to influence us regularly.  We will find ourselves strengthened in hope, in faith and in understanding.

Paul writes the following - 2 Timothy 1:7 NKJV:  "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."  Do we believe and understand this?  We have been given by God a Spirit of Power, love and sound mind!  This Spirit within us is greater than he who is in the world!

So applying this all to my life today, I am encouraged to look to the Holy Spirit, living inside me, to give me power, to propel my love, and to settle and secure my mind!  The spirit of fear, is not from God!  I am encouraged to reject this reaction to these times, and instead to ask God for revelation, that I might see what He is about all around me in and in me!   I am encouraged to listen to the Holy Spirit, to give real attention to Him whose job is to guide me, teach me and  strengthen me.  Based on my first thoughts this morning, apparently I need this more today!

Lord, help me to see and understand You!  Help me to recognize Your presence in my life!  Help me to listen to You, for Your perspective is greater and more complete for sure!

Amen!

May the Holy Spirit fill you with faith, hope, power, love and sound mind this day!


Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment