Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, April 5, 2020

The Father's Pride in His Son

This morning my thoughts upon waking were that today is Palm Sunday. I was thinking about the occurrence of that day, and wondering why the Father had Jesus go through this day's events, in light of what was soon to follow, and in light of the previous three years of ministry that were mostly accomplished without fanfare or show.  I thought this line of thought worth reflecting upon, for in this event we see some more of the Father's heart towards His Son.  Here is Luke's account, for this event is found in all four of the Gospels.

Luke 19:28-40 NIV:

[28] "After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. [29] As he approached Bethphage and Bethany at the hill called the Mount of Olives, he sent two of his disciples, saying to them, [30] “Go to the village ahead of you, and as you enter it, you will find a colt tied there, which no one has ever ridden. Untie it and bring it here. [31] If anyone asks you, 'Why are you untying it?' say, 'The Lord needs it.' ”

[32] Those who were sent ahead went and found it just as he had told them. [33] As they were untying the colt, its owners asked them, “Why are you untying the colt?”

[34] They replied, “The Lord needs it.”

[35] They brought it to Jesus, threw their cloaks on the colt and put Jesus on it. [36] As he went along, people spread their cloaks on the road.

[37] When he came near the place where the road goes down the Mount of Olives, the whole crowd of disciples began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen:

[38] “Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the Lord!” “Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!”

[39] Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, “Teacher, rebuke your disciples!”

[40] “I tell you,” he replied, “if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.”

As I mentioned earlier, I was thinking about this event in the context of the rest of Jesus' ministry, and it seemed like a strange addition.  The Lord had kept a relatively low profile, choosing to spend most of His time in Galilean countryside, rather in Judea or Jerusalem.  He purposely directed people to not spread the news about healings they received (see Matt 8:4).  At one point His brothers wanted Him to go to Jerusalem, and become a popular public person, and Jesus resisted that request (See John 7:3-4).  In light of these, a parade into Jerusalem where He is proclaimed the coming King is just odd.

As I was thinking through this, I felt like I heard the Lord say, "It was because He is the greatest King of all time, and He should receive Glory and praise from men!"  I certainly agree with that thought, and believe this also shows us the heart of the Father.  Previously, Jesus was glorified and transfigured on the Mount, but that was a very private experience, being witnessed only by the three apostles, Peter, James and John.  We see four major times where the Father showed His affection for His beloved Son, the first being His birth, the second His baptism, the third His transfiguration and finally here as Jesus enters Jerusalem. 

We know that Jesus only did what the Father told him to do (John 5:19).  Thus, we can assume that Jesus was doing this at the Father's direction.  I think we assume that 'of course Jesus must have had a parade, He was so great!' but we are thinking this already knowing the whole story.  We know that His riding into Jerusalem on the colt of a donkey was prophetically proclaimed by Zechariah 9:9, and that appears to be the reason for this, but the gathering of the people, the spreading palm branches and cloaks, and proclaiming Him the coming King, was apparently stirred up by the Father, for when Jesus was asked to quiet them down, He replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out.” 

I see in this proclamation Jesus acknowledging the pride the Father had for His Son!  The Father in Heaven is a good Father, even a great Father.  Jesus went to great lengths to speak of Him, to help us to understand how loving, merciful and compassionate the Father is towards us.  He likened earthly fathers to His heavenly Father, in their love for their children, but always said the Heavenly Father was much more loving, giving, and forgiving! 

As a father, I am very proud of my son, and often speak of Him.  My desire is that people know him, know how good he is, know what a great father he is, know what a great husband, and know how much I love him!  I see in me shadows of what the Heavenly Father must be like and must feel for His Son Jesus.  What Father wouldn't want to see their son lauded and praised for who He is and what He has accomplished?  I see in this parade of praise and proclamation the Father just releasing a small amount of His infinite love for His Son, and that love caused creation to come about.  I believe that what Jesus said about the rocks is true, if the people wouldn't proclaim His praise the rocks surely would have!

Finally, I am reminded of the words Jesus prayed in His last great prayer found in John 17.  I am quoting the first and last verses of this great prayer - John 17:1,25-26 NIV:

[1] After Jesus said this, he looked toward heaven and prayed:
 “Father, the hour has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.

[25] “Righteous Father, though the world does not know you, I know you, and they know that you have sent me.
[26] I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

Yes, Lord, we want the love You have for the Father, and the Love the Father has for His son to be in us!  We want the world to know that You are the God of love!  We want the world to know how great You are, far above every king and great man that has ever lived!  We want to see You receive the Glory You are due!  We want to see Your name lifted high above every other name! 

We cry out with Jesus, "Father the hour has come.  Glorify Your Son!"

Amen!



No comments:

Post a Comment