Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Discipline or Education and Training?

This morning I am going to spend some time reflecting on some of my less favorite verses found in Hebrews 12:7-13 NIV:

[7] "Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? [8] If you are not disciplined---and everyone undergoes discipline---then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all. [9] Moreover, we have all had human fathers who disciplined us and we respected them for it. How much more should we submit to the Father of spirits and live! [10] They disciplined us for a little while as they thought best; but God disciplines us for our good, in order that we may share in his holiness. [11] No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it."

[12] "Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. [13] “Make level paths for your feet,” so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed."

In this whole section, verse 7 is the key foundation, and the NIV translation is a bit overstated.  Here are two additional translations of verse 7. 

Hebrews 12:7 NASB:  "It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?"

Hebrews 12:7 TPT:  "Fully embrace God's correction as part of your training, for he is doing what any loving father does for his children. For who has ever heard of a child who never had to be corrected?"

I am certainly no Greek expert, and each of these takes a slightly different twist on translation and The Passion Translation, seem to come closest to what I see in the Greek.  The word that is translated discipline, is the Greek word paideia and it is defined as follows:

1) the whole training and education of children (which relates to the cultivation of mind and morals, and employs for this purpose now commands and admonitions, now reproof and punishment) It also includes the training and care of the body
2) whatever in adults also cultivates the soul, esp. by correcting mistakes and curbing passions.
     a) instruction which aims at increasing virtue
     b) chastisement, chastening, (of the evils with which God visits men for their amendment)

As the author of the letter is talking about a father and his children, it seems that the first definition is most accurate, "the whole training and education of children".  Now when I read the NIV translation, I don't get that image in my mind at all.  If we replace the word discipline in the above verses, with "the whole training and education of children" it actually becomes quite a positive verse.  We are so used to seeing discipline with a negative light, but its actual root is disciple.  So, maybe as adult examples we imagine the training that the disciples went through when they followed Jesus!  Again, that cultivates a much more positive perspective about these verses.

Secondly, the Greek word that was translated hardship in the NIV, is the word hupomeno which is defined as follows:

1) to remain
     a) to tarry behind
     b) to remain i.e. abide, not recede or flee
2) to preserve: under misfortunes and trials to hold fast to one's faith in Christ
     a) to endure, bear bravely and calmly: ill treatments

I guess this is one of those sections where the translation is influenced strongly by earlier passages, in this case the quoting of Proverbs 3:12 in verse 5 (which I didn't copy here).  We have in Jesus a perfect representation of the Father (Heb 1:3) and yet when the translators look at these verses, it appears that they relate the theme more closely to wording of Proverbs, which is revelation about God, prior to the full revelation of Jesus.  When I look at these verses, thinking of the loving Father revealed by Jesus, and His own treatment of the disciples, I just get a different picture in my mind.  Rather than endure  hardship of chastisement, I see the encouragement to persevere in one's education and training!  The call to holdfast to the relational interactions that encourage growth, new revelation, repentance (as in changing the way I think) not as a negative experience at all, but rather as personal growth!

Think of this as the Father providing you an exercise plan to build your strength and endurance for an upcoming adventure in the mountains, maybe.  Its not just education for educations sake, but a personalized training regimen with a specific goal and adventure in mind.  Several years ago I was planning an Elk Hunting trip in the Mountains of Colorado, where our base camp would be close to 9000ft.  In the months prior to that trip, I started running and working out, I was able to train at 5000ft multiple times, and I was able to prepare in some way for the trip.  The training itself was work, and I was pushing myself harder, knowing that the upcoming trip would certainly require me to be stronger and in better shape.  There were days that my muscles were sore from the previous day, but I didn't take a negative view or perspective to this training, for it had a purpose. 

If we take out the negative context we read into these verses, and look at the goal or purpose that is communicated, again we can embrace these verses with a positive attitude.  Here are the purposes and goals extracted:

1)  for our good
2)  in order that we may share in his holiness
3)  produces a harvest of righteousness and peace

With these for my goals, I find that I might have a bit more determination in continuing my present time of education and training.  I find that this is an encouragement into strengthening and healthiness, for that is how the author continues!  "Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees. [13] “Make level paths for your feet,” so that the lame may not be disabled, but rather healed." (Heb 12:12-13NIV).  He is encouraging us to become stronger ourselves, and to make the path more straight for our own feet and those who need healing.  This sounds to me like sound body, sound mind, sound emotions, and sound doctrine!  For our own good, that we might share in His holiness and produce a harvest of righteousness and peace!

Amen!  I guess these verses are higher up on my list of favorites now!

May the Lord bless you to see His loving interaction, education and training in this time!  May You understand His purpose and plan for you that you might remain in your present course of preparation!  May He bless your efforts and give you peace in the process!

Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment