Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Water from the Rock and Hardened Hearts

The last few days in my time with God, I have been meditating on Psalm 95 specifically verses 7-9.  
"Today, if you hear his voice, 8 do not harden your hearts as you did at Meribah,   as you did that day at Massah in the desert,9 where your fathers tested and tried me, though they had seen what I did."  


I was thinking about how hearing God's voice would elicit anything but a hardened heart, especially if you were in a desert waiting on God to speak and provide.  The story can be found in Exodus 17, and tells how the people were angry that they didn't have water,  If you read the two chapters prior to Ex. 17 - you will see how God miraculously provided water, Quail and Manna to feed them in the midst of the desert, and yet after all that, the people were angry!


Rather then coming to God, expecting Him to move, and asking Him to provide, they came with anger, and quarreling and demands.  They totally had missed the fact that God was providing everything else for them, He was totally committed to their survival and He clearly could move miraculously to provide for them.  Rather than experiencing growth in their faith in God, they instead only chose to become angry - one can almost hear them counting the number of inconveniences they were experiencing rather than the miracles.


Oh Lord, help me to turn my eyes from my own situations and see them from Your perspective,  seeing You as provider, healer, loving and forever faithful!   Help me to look at difficult situations as an opportunity for You to move, rather than as an inconvenience to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment