Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, March 4, 2012

God's Generational Perspective

This morning I was reading out of Isaiah 61:


(NIV)Isaiah 61:3-7
..."and provide for those who grieve in Zion---to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor. [4] They will rebuild the ancient ruins and restore the places long devastated; they will renew the ruined cities that have been devastated for generations. [5] Strangers will shepherd your flocks; foreigners will work your fields and vineyards. [6] And you will be called priests of the Lord, you will be named ministers of our God. You will feed on the wealth of nations, and in their riches you will boast. [7] Instead of your shame you will receive a double portion, and instead of disgrace you will rejoice in your inheritance. And so you will inherit a double portion in your land, and everlasting joy will be yours."


There is a replacement, a restoration that's tapping into the heart of the Lord, promised here. Verse 8 starts out:


(NIV)Isaiah 61:8
“For I, the Lord, love justice; I hate robbery and wrongdoing. In my faithfulness I will reward my people and make an everlasting covenant with them."


This restoration and replacement is because of the Lord's heart for justice. When His people suffer, and experience sorrow, He plans to bring them the opposite, because of His heart of Justice. In the case of Israel, this took place over generations. As I typed that, I realized that we really don't have a generational context, that God has, and acts within. Beginning in Genesis there is a constant theme of God applying a blessing or covenent with the individual and His generations to come.


(NIV)Genesis 9:11-12
"I establish my covenant with you: Never again will all life be destroyed by the waters of a flood; never again will there be a flood to destroy the earth. ” [12] And God said, “This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come:"


(NIV)Genesis 17:7
"I will establish my covenant as an everlasting covenant between me and you and your descendants after you for the generations to come, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you."


(NIV)Psalm 33:11
"But the plans of the Lord stand firm forever, the purposes of his heart through all generations."


(NIV)Psalm 100:5
"For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations."


(NIV)Ephesians 3:21
"...to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."


Lord, clearly you have a different perspective than we do.  I know I can barely see past the next week.  Help us to begin to understand and see as you see. Lord, help us to lay claim to Your promises as You mean them, as multi-generational.  Help us to see that our actions can have generational significance.  When we step into Your promise and blessing, its something that affects the generations after us!


 Note: no relation to me - but 6 generations of a single family!

No comments:

Post a Comment