Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, March 12, 2012

The Salt Covenant - part 1

In prayer I was led to Lev 2:13 speaking about a covenant salt, which I had never really noticed before.   I decided to do a bit of research and see what the significance of this covenant was to the Jews, and what meaning it should have for me.   It was mentioned three times in scripture:






(NIV)Leviticus 2:13
Season all your grain offerings with salt. Do not leave the salt of the covenant of your God out of your grain offerings; add salt to all your offerings.


(NIV)Numbers 18:18-19
Their meat is to be yours, just as the breast of the wave offering and the right thigh are yours. [19] Whatever is set aside from the holy offerings the Israelites present to the Lord I give to you and your sons and daughters as your perpetual share. It is an everlasting covenant of salt before the Lord for both you and your offspring.”


(NIV)2 Chronicles 13:5
Don’t you know that the Lord, the God of Israel, has given the kingship of Israel to David and his descendants forever by a covenant of salt?


I was looking up the covenant of salt online and it talks about this being the most extraordinary of all the covenants. This was an eternal, enduring, pure and preserving covenant. This is the root of the verse where Jesus speaks about being the salt of the earth, for there was a requirement that all sacrifices be salted when offered to God, for it makes them an acceptable sacrifice. The salt was also added to the incense, as a pleasing offering.


(NIV)Exodus 30:34-35
Then the Lord said to Moses, “Take fragrant spices---gum resin, onycha and galbanum---and pure frankincense, all in equal amounts, [35] and make a fragrant blend of incense, the work of a perfumer. It is to be salted and pure and sacred.

God clearly has established significance in the Covenant of Salt.  Tomorrow I will dive deeper - for this has meaning for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment