Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, March 2, 2012

The Importance of Small Things

This morning I was reading in Zechariah.


Zech 4:10
“Who despises the day of small things? Men will rejoice when they see the plumb line in the hand of Zerubbabel."


I was thinking earlier about how its the small decisions I make throughout the day that generally determine my focus and level of obedience. In the big areas, I generally stay on the path, but its in the small areas that I either don't pay attention to the consequences, or feel like I can disobey without any affect.


In this scripture Zerubbabel is commissioned to rebuild the temple, and the plumb-line is the tool they used to make sure the walls, especially the foundations, were straight. I know that in laying bricks for a brick wall, if one brick is slightly out of line, it can cause the whole wall to get out of balance, and become unstable, as that out-of-line brick is used to guide the placement of all the bricks around it, and the above it.


In the same way, small areas of my life that are out of line with God, can cause other areas to get out of line as well. In fact as I honestly look at times of disobedience, I can usually trace it back to one small little thing where I chose to do something slightly out of line with what I know is God's will for me. This then seems to cause a weakness in my will, and in related areas I make more choices that are out of line, so that disobedience, builds upon disobedience. Soon I find myself choosing disobedience in larger areas as well, due to my weakness of will.


Clearly, it is important to pay attention to the small things, for by them the course of my day, and life is often set.  Lord, help me to hold true to Your Word and Will always, not just in the big areas, but in small things as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment