Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, March 23, 2012

An Unfaithful and Distracted Heart

This morning I turned to Ezekiel 16 and was thinking about this story about Jerusalem.


(NIV)Ezekiel 16:10-19
"I clothed you with an embroidered dress and put sandals of fine leather on you. I dressed you in fine linen and covered you with costly garments. [11] I adorned you with jewelry: I put bracelets on your arms and a necklace around your neck, [12] and I put a ring on your nose, earrings on your ears and a beautiful crown on your head. [13] So you were adorned with gold and silver; your clothes were of fine linen and costly fabric and embroidered cloth. Your food was honey, olive oil and the finest flour. You became very beautiful and rose to be a queen. [14] And your fame spread among the nations on account of your beauty, because the splendor I had given you made your beauty perfect, declares the Sovereign Lord.


[15] “ ‘But you trusted in your beauty and used your fame to become a prostitute. You lavished your favors on anyone who passed by and your beauty became his. [16] You took some of your garments to make gaudy high places, where you carried on your prostitution. You went to him, and he possessed your beauty. [17] You also took the fine jewelry I gave you, the jewelry made of my gold and silver, and you made for yourself male idols and engaged in prostitution with them. [18] And you took your embroidered clothes to put on them, and you offered my oil and incense before them. [19] Also the food I provided for you---the flour, olive oil and honey I gave you to eat---you offered as fragrant incense before them. That is what happened, declares the Sovereign Lord."


I was reading this section of Ezekiel this morning, which is an allegory about the unfaithfulness of Jerusalem, and as I was thinking about this I realized that in many ways this is how I live. Obviously not in blatant promiscuity, but with the same attitude as Jerusalem. The theme, as I read this story, is that everything that the Lord gave her (Jerusalem) she used for her own enjoyment and pleasure, turning away from God in the process. God's purpose was that through lavishing her with love, she would return that love and affection, and be in relationship with Him.


Instead she took those things that He had given her, and basically ran towards everyone and everything else, literally giving her love away, to the point of worshipping those other things. The very things that were meant to draw her to Him, became the objects of her affection. Rather than thankfulness and gratitude, she used what she had been given for her own gratification.


I think of the incredible blessings that I have received and wonder how I have responded to God's gracious outpouring of blessings. Have I been grateful and thankful for all that I have been given, returning thanks to God, my true provider? Have I even been thankful for the clothes, food, shelter, countless blessings and provisions I have received? Am I aware of and remembering where I came from, the state of my soul prior to receiving salvation and forgiveness for my sins? Do I pursue my provider in relationship, or do I use these gifts for my own gratification and pleasure? Have I spent more time and effort pursuing other things, than God?


If I were to look at my thoughts and actions throughout the day, how often am I of the attitude of Jerusalem (in this allegory) and how often am I of the attitude of a grateful and thankful, redeemed and rescued, loved and provided for child of God?


Lord, I must confess that so often, I am the former and not the latter. So often I do not return thanks to You for all You have provided. I do not acknowledge You as my provider, and redeemer, as I should. I do use those things that You have blessed me with for my own gratification, rather than for Your purposes. I am so easily distracted from and easily forgtting the incredible things that You have done for me.


Lord, I ask that You would forgive me for my unfaithful and distracted heart. I ask You to forgive me for giving my affections and attention to anything other than You. You are calling out to me daily, showing me Your love in countless ways! I choose to return Your affection and attention, turning my heart fully towards You, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment