Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Welcoming God

Last night I was reading from Luke 9-10.


(NIV)Luke 9:52-53
"And he sent messengers on ahead, who went into a Samaritan village to get things ready for him; [53] but the people there did not welcome him, because he was heading for Jerusalem."


I was thinking about the last sentence - how people did not welcome Jesus. He was heading to Jerusalem, and as such the Samaritans did not welcome Him, for there was a disagreement about where they should worship, and the Samaritans were generally looked down upon by the Jews. Clearly, as Jesus was actually planning to stay there, He was breaking from normal Jewish tradition of not associating with Samaritans as is described in John 4.  In addition to the financial blessing this would have brought, one would think, they would have experienced the blessing of God's literal presence, in Jesus. I am reminded of the effects that the presence of God had on Obed-Edom's house when David left the Ark there -


(NIV)2 Samuel 6:10-12
He was not willing to take the ark of the Lord to be with him in the City of David. Instead, he took it to the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite. [11] The ark of the Lord remained in the house of Obed-Edom the Gittite for three months, and the Lord blessed him and his entire household. [12] Now King David was told, “The Lord has blessed the household of Obed-Edom and everything he has, because of the ark of God.” So David went to bring up the ark of God from the house of Obed-Edom to the City of David with rejoicing.


In the same way, when Jesus visited a city, they experienced the blessings of God, see Matt 8 - where Jesus comes into town, heals the Centurion's servant, healed Peter's mother-in-law, then healed everyone that was brought to Him. There was the natural blessing that came from crowds of people following Jesus, they needed food and places to stay, most likely bought at local rates, and there was the blessing of health and wholeness that was poured out through Jesus ministry, the kingdom of darkness was vanquished as Jesus cast out the demons. All of this would have greatly uplifted the town or city.


Yet we see this Samritan village rejecting His presence, most likely because of their religious affiliation. It makes me wonder how often we miss God's presence because of some denominational differences, affiliations or even religious preferences? It makes me sick to think that someone would reject the very presence of God - but I know I have likely fallen into the same spirit, not trusting that God was really moving due to a groups history, or affiliation.


Continuing on in Luke 10, Jesus gives a stern warning concerning towns and villages that do not welcome his followers, in the following verses:


(NIV)Luke 10:10-12, 16
"But when you enter a town and are not welcomed, go into its streets and say, [11] ‘Even the dust of your town we wipe from our feet as a warning to you. Yet be sure of this: The kingdom of God has come near.’ [12] I tell you, it will be more bearable on that day for Sodom than for that town."


[16] “Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.”


Lord, help me to always welcome You! I am reminded of what Jesus' response was to the Samaritan village, He just went somewhere else (Luke 9:56).


I am also thinking this relates to how we welcome His word in our lives. There are many times that He visits us with a word of encouragement, a calling, an invitation that challenges us, and its always really an invitation to increase our intimacy with Him. How often do we reject Him in rejecting His word, or even His emissaries (preachers or teachers) because we don't like what we hear, or are challenged to get out of our comfort zone?


Lord, I don't want you to go anywhere else. I want to welcome You in my life, my home. Lord, that You might find a welcome sign in my heart and home, that you might take up residence here!

No comments:

Post a Comment