Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Acting on Our Beliefs

This morning I wsa reading out of James:

NIV)James 2:18, 22-24
But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.” Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.

[22] You see that his faith and his actions were working together, and his faith was made complete by what he did. [23] And the scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness,” and he was called God’s friend. [24] You see that a person is considered righteous by what they do and not by faith alone.

I think that its clear that it is applicable to our actions in the way we live. Do we act as Christians, does our faith in God change the way we behave? Our faith and beliefs should be shown or accompanied by our actions. James finishes that section with a very sobering thought:

(NIV)James 2:26
As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.

In other words, if applied to the thinking above about our lives and actions being affected by our faith, the opposite is true as well. If our lives and actions don't reflect our faith, than our so-called faith is really dead and has no life within it.

This certainly gives me pause to think about my life and beliefs. Does my life and actions line up with my faith? Do I act differently because of my faith, or do I act just like others who have no faith? Could someone, through observation of my life, day to day, identify what I believed, what I have faith for?

Lord, help me to live a life of faith and faith directed action!

No comments:

Post a Comment