Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, July 2, 2012

Sanctified and Sent

This morning I have been reading and meditating on John 17:

(NIV)John 17:15-21
[15] My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one. [16] They are not of the world, even as I am not of it. [17] Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. [18] As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. [19] For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified.
[20] “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, [21] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.

I was looking at verse 17, and Jesus prayer for our sanctification. The Greek word is Hagiazo:
1. To render or acknowledge, or to be venerable or hallow
2. to separate from profane things and dedicate to God
a. consecrate things to God
b. dedicate people to God
3. to purify
a. to cleanse externally
b. to purify by expiation: free from the guilt of sin
c. to purify internally by renewing of the soul

Reading this word in the context of the previous verses, it appears to be the second definition that Jesus is using, one of separation from the world and dedication to God. He does specify that this separation is not a withdrawing, but rather a protection while in the midst of the world. The separation He speaks of is a belonging to something else, a citizenship in His Kingdom. So in simple language, we become members of His Kingdom, in the midst of the world, protected by the Father, and living our lives in dedication to Him, sent out into the world to be examples, and guides.

No comments:

Post a Comment