Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Experiencing the Presence of God

Last night I was reading from Psalm 89 the following verses:


(NIV)Psalm 89:1-2, 8, 13-18
I will sing of the Lord’s great love forever; with my mouth I will make your faithfulness known through all generations. [2] I will declare that your love stands firm forever, that you have established your faithfulness in heaven itself.


[8] Who is like you, Lord God Almighty? You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.


[13] Your arm is endowed with power; your hand is strong, your right hand exalted. [14] Righteousness and justice are the foundation of your throne; love and faithfulness go before you. [15] Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord. [16] They rejoice in your name all day long; they celebrate your righteousness. [17] For you are their glory and strength, and by your favor you exalt our horn. [18] Indeed, our shield belongs to the Lord, our king to the Holy One of Israel.


I especially like verse - (NIV)Psalm 89:15
Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord.


I have been praying that I might experience more of Your presence, Lord, and the thought of walking in the light of Your presence is awesome. Lord, my desire is to be so overwhelmed by Your presence that everything else seems empty and trivial. I want be so filled by Your presence that it overflows to those around me.


As I was thinking and praying, I was reminded of a teaching I heard from Bill Johnson on the Presence of God.  Here is a link to the following short notes about Hosting the Presence of God, By Bill Johnson: http://www.bjm.org/content/10/hosting-the-presence.html


Our greatest privilege in life is to learn to be a person that God will rest upon. He is in all of us by covenant, and will never leave. But He is not upon all of us. The challenge we face is to learning to be people who host the presence of the Lord as our greatest calling in life. While He is in me for my sake, He is upon me for yours. When the Lord rests upon a person, there is actually an atmospheric change that takes place wherever that person goes.

As our own faith increases—in conjunction with our realm of authority and responsibility—we are allowed to carry a greater weight of presence into an environment. The “reach” of His presence is transformational in nature, changing the climate that people live under. It is what happened on the day of Pentecost when the Spirit of God fell on 120 people. It completely changed the appetite of a city that only days earlier rose up to crucify Jesus. After the Spirit of God began to manifest and rest upon this group of 120, thousands spontaneously dropped all they were doing to come and gather around them at nine o’clock in the morning. When the prevailing atmosphere is the presence of God Himself, hunger is created in the hearts of people. It is normal to hunger for God.

As we become faithful to host the presence of the Lord, we find a tension between two realities—that He has been given to us without measure but that we set the limits of that measure. Though all of the measurements are set up on our end of the equation, we can experience the measure of presence we are willing to jealously guard. Whatever you will jealously guard, that is the measure you will have on a consistent basis. All measurements in the Kingdom exist for us to pursue increase. The whole Kingdom is based on this principle: the faithful use of what you have been given is what qualifies you for more.

This is the process we will experience in the coming days, for the glory of the Lord will cover the whole earth!!




No comments:

Post a Comment