Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Flames, Fire and Furnace



I was reading Obadiah last night, and saw these verses:

(NIV)Obadiah 1:17-18
But on Mount Zion will be deliverance; it will be holy, and Jacob will possess his inheritance. [18] Jacob will be a fire and Joseph a flame; Esau will be stubble, and they will set him on fire and destroy him. There will be no survivors from Esau.” The Lord has spoken.

There Are multiple commentaries on these verses, most think they have to do with the ability of God's people to destroy their enemies. I think its interesting that He is saying that the people, the tribes will become fire and flame. I like the fire and flame references, as I am reminded of the Holy Spirit, and how when He burns in ones life, they are consumed with Passion for God, and the things of His heart. It also reminds me of another verse:

(NIV)Isaiah 31:9
Their stronghold will fall because of terror; at the sight of the battle standard their commanders will panic, ” declares the Lord, whose fire is in Zion, whose furnace is in Jerusalem.

There is definitely a component of the Fire of the Lord that is related to His warfare. The verse from Isaiah is the end of a verse where the Lord is rebuking Israel for choosing to turn to Egypt rather the the Lord, when they were threatened by Assyria. He is speaking about the Assyrians, when He makes the statement about fire and furnace.

The words can be translated light or lamp and cook stove, or fire and furnace, or God's illumination and wrath. If I look at the first combination, it seems to be where God lives, or at least inhabits. The second combination reminds me of purification, which definitely happens if you are in His presence. The third combination seems like its tied to the nature of God, and His characteristics, of wisdom and protector. It is a good reminder to me of the nature of God, who is so much greater than we can comprehend. When He comes we can experience all of these, His presence, His provision, His righteousness and purity, His wisdom and His protection. We might experience them all at the same time, or in seasons.

Lastly, when God chooses a place to dwell, He is jealous over it, and protects it - just like He did with Zion and Jerusalem. The Church is His body, and we are individually His dwelling places. Amen Lord, inhabit us!

No comments:

Post a Comment