Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, March 13, 2014

I Wait For The Lord

Day 5, week 2 of the Spiritual Exercises and the meditation today is on Psalm 33. I have included so selected verses here:

Psalm 33:4, 6, 8-9, 13-15, 18-22 NIV:
[4] For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.
[6] By the word of the Lord the heavens were made, their starry host by the breath of his mouth.
[8] Let all the earth fear the Lord; let all the people of the world revere him.
[9] For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood firm.
[13] From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind;
[14] from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth---
[15] he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do.
[18] But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love,
[19] to deliver them from death and keep them alive in famine.
[20] We wait in hope for the Lord; he is our help and our shield.
[21] In him our hearts rejoice, for we trust in his holy name.
[22] May your unfailing love be with us, Lord, even as we put our hope in you.

I selected these verses, because they represent the progression of the Psalmist's thoughts, starting with God the creator, from ancient of days to His engagement in our daily lives. So often we only think of one perspective, or one revelation, but it is good to dwell on all aspects of God. One of the common meditations is on the many names of God, for each name reveals some character trait, so insight into the greater revelation of God.

For me, I really like the book-end verses from the selection above - God's word is right and true; He is faithful; His love is unfailing, and so we are right to put our hope in Him. There is an eternal constancy to God that we can depend on always. So often we feel like God isn't listening, or isn't there, but He is unchanging, unmoving, and eternal in His vigilance and view. He never changes - so what changes in these times is our emotions or our sensitivity to the Lord.

Sometimes we are led into the wilderness, even as Jesus was led by the Holy Spirit immediately after His baptism (Matt 4 or Luke 4). This is not to make us feel far from God, but to allow us time to listen, and remove distractions from our life. It is in the wilderness that God reveals Himself in greater measure. One of my favorite authors, Graham Cooke, loves the wilderness, for He has recognized that it's in the wilderness that God reveals who He will be to him in the next season of his life. In other words, the wilderness is a look-ahead to the provision and character the Lord will be revealing in the next season. If we can stop panicking when we find ourselves in the wilderness, and instead ask the Lord to help us see what He is dong, and what He is revealing, we might have a completely different perspective of our wilderness times.

Finally, the Lord desires our trust and faith, for He is faithful and true. Its funny how people will try to find what they need everywhere and in everything, before they turn to God. What is it in us that doesn't want to bend our knee to God and ask for His help? I think the answer is called pride. As for me , I am choosing to echo the psalmist - I wait in hope for the Lord; He is my help and my shield. In Him my heart rejoices, for I trust in His holy name. May Your unfailing love be with me, Lord, even as I put my hope in You - PS 33:20-22.

No comments:

Post a Comment