Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, March 1, 2014

Worries, Fears, Concerns and Treasure

Today, my meditation is out of Luke 12:22-34 NIV:

[22] Then Jesus said to his disciples: “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. [23] For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. [24] Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! [25] Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life ? [26] Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

[27] “Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. [28] If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you---you of little faith! [29] And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. [30] For the pagan world runs after all such things, and your Father knows that you need them. [31] But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.

[32] “Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. [33] Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. [34] For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

In context of Luke, chapter 12, Jesus was addressing wealth, greed and such and after commenting on the wealthy and their desire to story up material wealth for themselves, He starts the teaching on our heart's focus, and our minds obsessions. He also is addressing fear, worry and anxiety, which are not from Him. He is trying to get to significant issues of the heart, mind and soul.

The questions that I ask myself after reading these verses are: What am I worried about in my life? What do I spend my time thinking about? What occupies my mind the majority of the time? Am I concerned more about material wealth, or any other pursuit than I am about my spiritual growth, and the growth of God's Kingdom? What do I give my affections to? What do I really believe about God's attitude toward me, and His role as my provider? What percentage of my day and week is given to care for my stuff, or other things other than God?

When I read these verses, I feel the Lord drawing me to examine my priorities, my alignment of time and effort with priorities, and my pursuit of Him. I believe that if we look at our lives honestly, we can see how our values are lived out by what we send time doing. We may say we value time with our family, but if we never do, how honest is that statement (assuming there are no circumstances that would make it impossible to spend time wth them)? Looking at our lives also shows us what we really believe. If I say I believe that God provides for me, but I spend every moment working, or worrying about my finances, I would question my belief statement.

Finally my meditation is upon Jesus closing statements around treasure. He says to "provide for yourselves... treasure in heaven" and "where your treasure is there your heart will be also." The idea of treasure is usually associated with money, jewels, and such - things of great worth. The only problem wit treasure is that to know its true value you have to see it and count it, or reckon it. If our treasure is stored in Heaven, how do we know what's there? Then there is the question of what I need treasure in Heaven for? I am reminded of the description of heaven in Revelations chapters 21 & 22, and after a quick perusal see no mention of the need for treasure, but rather that it is a place of abundance and blessings, where earthly treasure is what the walls and streets are made of, and in great abundance.

So, I guess the real question is what is heavenly treasure? If we look at Jesus' statement about how to store up treasure there, it has to do with concern for others, for the poor, blessing those around us, and it has to do with the Kingdom of God. What if the real treasure of heaven is relationships, with each other and with the Lord? What if our treasure is about becoming like Him, and drawing others to Him? I dare say that, based on the rest of Jesus witness and life and words, that is exactly what our treasure is in Heaven. And if that is what my treasure is in Heaven, then I should be looking at my actions and affections and aligning them correctly, as Jesus encouraged.

No comments:

Post a Comment