Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Care Of The Good Shepherd

Today my meditation is on Psalm 23, one of the most quoted psalms, and for good reason, for it speaks of a promise of relationship and care from the Lord.

Psalm 23:1-6 NIV:
[1] The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing.
[2] He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
[3] he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake.
[4] Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
[5] You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
[6] Surely your goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

As I read these verses, I am reminded of Jesus' statements in John 10:11, 14-18, 27-29 NIV:

[11] “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.

[14] “I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me--- [15] just as the Father knows me and I know the Father---and I lay down my life for the sheep. [16] I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd. [17] The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life---only to take it up again. [18] No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.”

[27] My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. [28] I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. [29] My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all ; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand.

I was thinking about how comforting these verses are to me, for they speak of provision, rest, food, protection, relationship, direction and guidance, all such good things. As I was thinking about that, I realized part of my comfort comes from the fact that I generally experience all this in my life. I live in a comfortable home, safe and warm and dry. I have plenty to eat and drink, do not have to work my body to exhaustion to make ends meet, or to just feed my family. I do not worry about persecution, or even really enemies of any sort. I am secure, comfortable and well fed. How different must these verses sound to someone in abject poverty?

As I think about my meditation yesterday, about our treasure being relationship, I am helped. So often I read these verses and think in terms of material things, but what they really speak of is relationship. They speak of an intimate caring relationship with the Lord, where we are the recipients of that care. He knows us like no other. He cares for us and leads us in paths that are best for us. He protects us, guides us and we are His.

Rich or poor, we can all experience this relationship that is the greatest treasure of all. The Lord, calls us all to this place, and to a certain extent the impoverished have an advantage - they have little else to distract them from their relationship with God. For the wealthy, they need to get past all the stuff, to be able to see the Lord clearly, for so often they tie their material possessions into their faith and it becomes twisted. Jesus said it well - [25] "For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. [26] What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul?" Matthew 16:25-26 NIV.

He is our good shepherd, and He will guide us and lead us to eternal life! He cares most about our eternal destiny, and our relationship with Him. He will give us comfort and care, even where there doesn't appear to be any, for He his given us the Holy Spirit to dwell with us. In receiving Him, I have the greatest consolation and care here in this present life, and in the life to come, and it really has nothing to do with material comforts or things.

No comments:

Post a Comment