Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, March 14, 2014

The King's Shalom


This morning I felt I should read Psalm 72:1-7 NIV:

[1] "Endow the king with your justice, O God, the royal son with your righteousness.
[2] May he judge your people in righteousness, your afflicted ones with justice.
[3] May the mountains bring prosperity to the people, the hills the fruit of righteousness.
[4] May he defend the afflicted among the people and save the children of the needy; may he crush the oppressor.
[5] May he endure as long as the sun, as long as the moon, through all generations.
[6] May he be like rain falling on a mown field, like showers watering the earth.
[7] In his days may the righteous flourish and prosperity abound till the moon is no more."

My eyes were particularly drawn to verses 3 & 7, as I felt the Lord wanted to encourage me, and all of us with a message about prosperity (the word translated here is Shalom). The Lord's hand is meant to be visible in the abundance of prosperity (Shalom) in His Kingdom. When He is king, prosperity (Shalom) comes, for it is related to His nature, His sovereignty over all things. So, it is important to understand what the word Shalom actually means. The word Shalom is rich in meaning - here are the definitions from the Strong's Hebrew Dictionary - Shalowm

Definition
1. completeness, soundness, welfare, peace
a. completeness (in number)
b. safety, soundness (in body)
c. welfare, health, prosperity
d. peace, quiet, tranquillity, contentment
e. peace, friendship 1. of human relationships 2. with God especially in covenant relationship
f. peace (from war)
g. peace (as adjective)

This is so much more than just prosperity, or financial well-being, in fact that is the third minor definition (in the list above). When I read the list above, I think about a complete settled-ness, feeling peaceful and safe, provided for in all things such as health, relationships, family, friends, etc. There is a completeness, a sense of everything being in its right place at the right time.

I think that is what the Lord wants to establish in our lives - His Shalom. I say Yes Lord, bring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment