Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, March 27, 2014

It Is Our Choice

This morning I am just thinking on yesterday's meditation, specifically Luke 1:35, 38 NIV:

[35] "The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.

[38] “I am the Lord’s servant,” Mary answered. “May your word to me be fulfilled.” Then the angel left her."

I was wondering what Mary experienced when the Holy Spirit came to her and overshadowed her. I know I have experienced the infilling power of the Holy Spirit and it is a significant event. So often Scripture is quite under spoken about significant things. This is the only time EVER that God comes in this way, and it is called overshadowing, and the Greek word means exactly that - to cast a shadow over. I imagine that Mary was very aware of God's power overshadowing her, and touching her body.

This is not some sort of possession, or taking control by God. Rather, He was given permission by Mary's choice in verse 38. Even in this most critical point in human history and salvation, God does not force her will, but honors the gift of free-will that He has given us all. God was definitely the initiator, but He would only go so far before He stopped and let Her choose.

So often people want God to just come in and take control of their lives, but He is always a respecter of our free-will. God is aways initiating, but we must respond, we must extend the invitation to Him by opening the door, by saying Yes, by asking Him to come. I am reminded of the verse from Revelation 3:20:
"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me"

This is also true for areas of our life, the Lord will not intervene, will never walk into an area and just start cleaning house, unless invited. He always waits for the invitation, although He may stand outside the area and ask us to open it to Him, He will not enter unless we say so. There is such a gentleness and patience in the Lord's dealings with us.

I am thankful that He let's us choose. He wants loving sons and daughters, who are in relationship because they want to, not because they have to be, like mindless servants.

No comments:

Post a Comment