Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Believing in His Promises


This morning I am reading from Luke again.

Luke 1:41-45 NIV
When Elizabeth heard Mary’s greeting, the baby leaped in her womb, and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit. [42] In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! [43] But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me? [44] As soon as the sound of your greeting reached my ears, the baby in my womb leaped for joy. [45] Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!”

My attention was drawn to the last line of her statement - "Blessed is she who has believed the the Lord would fulfill His promises to her!" I guess I am still thinking about the promises of God, and meditating on their significance.

A few thoughts:

1. They are God's promises - owned by Him. He made them, and His word is perfect and He is true and faithful. We can believe them because of His nature and character.

2. Our work is one of belief. Continuing to believe in His promises, even while in the waiting period is good for us. We enter into a place of humility, and anticipation, and longing for God, all of which are things He looks for in His people. I am reminded of 2 Chronicles 7:14 NIV: "...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land."

3. Elizabeth's statement was as much about her as it was about Mary. Both believed in the promises of God, and both were blessed. In the same way, God's word and promises can be applied to many people and many situations for it is perfect.

Let us believe in the Lord's promises to us! Let us turn to Him and pursue Him in prayer and humility, anticipating His time of visitation in our lives and the fulfillment of His promise. Let us believe in the revealed character of our Lord, made visible in Jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment