Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, December 30, 2012

In the Face of Opposition


This morning I opened my Bible to 1 Corinthians 16:8-9 NIV
"But I will stay on at Ephesus until Pentecost, [9] because a great door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many who oppose me."

I was just thinking about the optimism of Paul, and his willingness to continue on in the face of opposition. Here in one sentence he talks about a a great door for effective work being opened, and in the same breath the fact that there are many who oppose him there. He was not discouraged by the opposition, rather it appears he was just acknowledging the fact, but had his eyes focused on the opportunity.

I think at times, I would experience the opposition and be dissuaded from my efforts, because I don't want to cause conflict. The reality that Paul understood was the fact that the Gospel will cause conflict, for it is the establishment of a new Kingdom, and the old kingdom will not just give away what it possesses. The defeat of an existing kingdom is always accomplished through conflict. As representatives of the Kingdom, we need to understand that conflict and opposition will occur and we should not be afraid of this. Rather it is a sign that we are advancing the Kingdom. We must recognize the fact and accept it and let the opportunity drive us forward.

I think in the coming years, as our nation becomes covered with darkness, it will be even more important for us to understand this concept. Lord, help us to put our trust in You, and continue to work to advance Your Kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment