Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, December 21, 2012

The Real End Of The World

I had not intended to write about the end of the world, but this morning I felt led to read out of Joel 3:14-18 NIV:

"Multitudes, multitudes in the valley of decision! For the day of the Lord is near in the valley of decision. [15] The sun and moon will be darkened, and the stars no longer shine. [16] The Lord will roar from Zion and thunder from Jerusalem; the earth and the heavens will tremble. But the Lord will be a refuge for his people, a stronghold for the people of Israel. [17] “Then you will know that I, the Lord your God, dwell in Zion, my holy hill. Jerusalem will be holy; never again will foreigners invade her. [18] “In that day the mountains will drip new wine, and the hills will flow with milk; all the ravines of Judah will run with water. A fountain will flow out of the Lord’s house and will water the valley of acacias."

I find this an interesting verse to read on this day, when so many people are thinking about the end of the world. In one way, they are all correct, there will be an end to the world, according to scripture, these verses in Joel are just one example from the old testament, and the words of Jesus, in Matt 24-25 as an example. It will come, it will be terrible, and our only refuge in that time will be in God.

This supposed end-of-the-world is for the most part laughed off by people and largely an excuse for an end-of-the-world party. The real end of the world will not be something to be taken lightly, nor will it be pre-scheduled event that you can plan a party for in advance. It will be an event where it becomes very clear that there is indeed a true God, whole protection is real, and whose provision is our only hope, as described in the verses above.

I think its wise to think about the end of the world and what is beyond. Our faith tells us there is an eternal life which we are invited into, whose invitation is extended through relationship with Jesus. This eternal life exists after the end of the world. Our place in eternity is dependent on our lives here, and as such worthy of thought and action. As it says in 1 John 5:11-13 NIV:

"And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. [12] Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life. [13] I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life."

Let us consider our final destination today, not because today is the end-of-the-world, but because we are one day closer to the real end.

No comments:

Post a Comment