Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Semi-Random Thoughts on His Birth

Continuing my reading of Luke:

Luke 2:7-14 NIV
"...and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them. [8] And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. [9] An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. [10] But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. [11] Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. [12] This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.” [13] Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying, [14] “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

As I was reading these verses, I had a few new thoughts:

1. The very first of created things to see Jesus, besides His parents , were the animals in the manger. I find that an interesting thought, as God does nothing by accident. Is there a purposeful parallel between His birth and the creation account, where the animals were created before man?

2. The lowly state of Jesus birth, a clear sign of the completely different revelation of God than what was expected, makes me wonder why God chose this time to reveal that component of His nature?

3. The first people to hear about his birth are shepherds, who weren't even looking for Him, or probably even that religious. I find it reassuring that God chooses to reveal His plans and purposes and glory to those who are not looking for Him.

4. Most people missed the real significance of the first Christmas, and that is understandable. We, on the other hand, have in large part lost the real significance of this celebration, due to our own distractedness, or spiritual blindness.

I pray that we all might experience the visitation of the Lord in unexpected ways! I pray that we might be reminded of the real significance of what we are celebrating - that God chose to come to earth, to reveal himself more fully, and to save us all by taking our place, and paying the price we could not pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment