Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Staying on Track

This morning I was reflecting on my inability to stay on course for a long period of time. At some point I start making decisions, or choices that slowly lead me away from the path I want to be on, and for a while I don't even notice. When I opened my bible this morning, I felt led to read from Deuteronomy 17:13-20 NIV:

[14] When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you and have taken possession of it and settled in it, and you say, “Let us set a king over us like all the nations around us,” [15] be sure to appoint over you a king the Lord your God chooses. He must be from among your fellow Israelites. Do not place a foreigner over you, one who is not an Israelite. [16] The king, moreover, must not acquire great numbers of horses for himself or make the people return to Egypt to get more of them, for the Lord has told you, “You are not to go back that way again.” [17] He must not take many wives, or his heart will be led astray. He must not accumulate large amounts of silver and gold.
[18] When he takes the throne of his kingdom, he is to write for himself on a scroll a copy of this law, taken from that of the Levitical priests. [19] It is to be with him, and he is to read it all the days of his life so that he may learn to revere the Lord his God and follow carefully all the words of this law and these decrees [20] and not consider himself better than his fellow Israelites and turn from the law to the right or to the left. Then he and his descendants will reign a long time over his kingdom in Israel.

Verses 18-20 really seem to be helpful in maintaining a consistent walk, as they were intended to guide and ground the king in the reality of who they are, and their purposes, and dangers to their focus. I think this would be very helpful to me, to write down the directives of the Lord for me in this season and read them every day, and meditate on my following them. Lord, I pray that You will help me, for I know You desire me to walk in Your ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment