Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, December 28, 2012

Pressing On


Hosea 6:3, 6 NIV
Let us acknowledge the Lord; let us press on to acknowledge him. As surely as the sun rises, he will appear; he will come to us like the winter rains, like the spring rains that water the earth. ” [6] For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings.

As I opened my Bible this morning, was directed to Hosea 6. This verse about pressing on to acknowledge God really caught my attention. As I was writing yesterday, my tendency is to quickly become distracted or to wander off the path. I like the fact that this is an encouragement from one person to another. I see in my minds-eye the guys racing on the beach in the movie Chariots of Fire, encouraging one another to run faster.

The promise is clear, its in pressing in and pressing on, that we will see Him. He will come, He will appear. He will bring refreshment and life.

The second verse is translated a bit differently in the NASB version, replacing the word mercy with loyalty. This is closer to the original Hebrew. It also makes more sense, following the first verse. God desires our loyalty and faithfulness and acknowledgement more than sacrifices or burnt offerings. This speaks to me of constant regular communication, rather that the once or twice a year grand show. I know for me the choice to remain loyal to the Lord, following His word, living by His example, is a daily, hourly and even almost every minute decision. Pressing on speaks of persevering in pursuit, kind of like Tommy Lee Jones in the movie The Fugitive, just dogged pursuit that never gives up.

Let us press on to know Him and love Him, and He will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment