Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Looking to Others

This morning I felt like I should be reading about John the Baptist. Luke 3:3, 7-9, 16 NIV
He went into all the country around the Jordan, preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.

[7] John said to the crowds coming out to be baptized by him, “You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath? [8] Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, ‘We have Abraham as our father.’ For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham. [9] The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.”

[16] John answered them all, “I baptize you with water. But one who is more powerful than I will come, the straps of whose sandals I am not worthy to untie. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

As I read through these verses I am reminded that there had been a drought of hearing the active word of God for 300+ years, since the last prophet was sent. That is probably close to 10 generations of people. The message of repentance was familiar, for it was spoken in the major prophets, as well as the minor prophets with some regularity. However it hadn't been spoken of in hundreds of years by anyone with the authority of God active in their lives, like John.

Its interesting that the fruit of there repentance that John focused on was looking beyond themselves to those around them. He was speaking against the pure individualism, and the greed that was present. The call was to not just change their mind, but to change their actions.

Luke 3:10-14 NIV
“What should we do then?” the crowd asked. [11] John answered, “Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same.” [12] Even tax collectors came to be baptized. “Teacher,” they asked, “what should we do?” [13] “Don’t collect any more than you are required to,” he told them. [14] Then some soldiers asked him, “And what should we do?” He replied, “Don’t extort money and don’t accuse people falsely---be content with your pay.”

I think this is a fitting word for my life, and I see in many ways the same type of environment all around me. Let us embrace the message of John and seek forgiveness for our sins of selfishness and greed and turn to those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment