Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love and Perseverance


I was just reading from Paul's second letter to the Thessalonians and one of his sentences caught my attention: 2 Thessalonians 3:5 NIV
[5] "May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance."

I just really like the idea of God directing my heart into His love. What a perfect place to be found - in the love of God. His love is such a place of refuge for who would be found there. It is better than in our mothers arms, or behind our dad's legs. It is a place we can find rest and peace in the midst of everything being in a swirl around us. Whole books have been written about God's love.

The second phrase takes a bit more unpacking for me. Having my heart directed into the perseverance of Christ is not a common statement. There are not any bumper-stickers with this phrase written on them. The definition of perseverance is: continued effort to do or achieve something despite difficulties, failure, or opposition : the action or condition or an instance of persevering : steadfastness [Webster's definition].

As I read that definition I am reminded of that which Christ endured on my behalf. He endured the torture of being flogged, beaten, betrayed, stuck, humiliated and finally crucified. He took on himself all the punishment for my sins, He made a perfect sacrifice of His own Body and Blood that I might have eternal life. He did this all as a man, in the face of opposition from his family and even his friends. He set His eyes on the prize and that prize was me, that prize was you.

The perseverance of Christ is all about love. However, this is no flowery love or romantic expression, but rather a love demonstrated through sweat of blood, bruising and tearing of flesh, love unto death. This is love that we can count on in the worst moments of our life, for it is a love that endured through all pain and suffering. It is a love that was rock solid even in the face of all our sin.

Now that is a love that I can celebrate on this day when we celebrate love. I pray that the Lord continues to direct our hearts into His love and into Christ's perseverance.

1 comment: