Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Welcoming Trials - Yikes!


This morning I am reading from James - one of those personally challenging verses.

James 1:2-4 NIV
[2] "Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, [3] because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. [4] Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

When I read a verse like this, I tend to quickly move on without wanting to really meditate on it, as it clearly is talking about personal discomfort. I don't like thinking about, or even worse, experiencing personal discomfort. I think of the saying - no pain, no gain - and I think I prefer the latter of the two statements. :-)
Embracing difficulty, welcoming it, and considering it pure joy, is not a normal response. My natural flesh crawls at the suggestion of difficulty, or lack, or anything other than what I want. Not only do I want things that comfort me, I want them now!

How different the mentality that James is speaking of here. We are encouraged to look beyond our present circumstances, and see the end result, and know that the end result is far better. Far-sightedness is not something we cultivate in our present culture. This is thinking like a great chess player, seeing that good which will come about through near-term sacrifice. Having an eternal mindset, or kingdom mindset is so important for us to cultivate, for that is our ultimate destiny.

Jesus spoke numerous times about eternal life, as the reward. He spoke constantly about the Kingdom of God, here and present and as the great treasure. We are called to something much greater than just going through life, going to school, working, relaxing on weekends, etc. We are called to be part of the single greatest thing in all the universe - eternal life with God.

I am reminded of a few verses in Matthew 13:44-46 NIV:
[44] “The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field. [45] “Again, the kingdom of heaven is like a merchant looking for fine pearls. [46] When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it."

I would probably go through quite a bit of hardship to secure a great treasure. We have TV shows where all the contestants are competing in difficult challenges to win the huge cash prize. We can understand these things, yet remain mostly disconnected or unconcerned about the opportunity to experience the greatest treasure. James was speaking as one who had already discovered this great treasure and was encouraging others into that place of maturity in their faith in God, and participation in the Kingdom of God.

Lord, help me to develop an eternal mindset, and help me to see the great treasure before me, so that I am willing to pursue this joyfully at any cost!

No comments:

Post a Comment