Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sorrow and Joy

This morning I was reminded of a verse, 2 Corinthians 7:10 NIV: "Godly sorrow brings repentance that leads to salvation and leaves no regret, but worldly sorrow brings death." I was thinking of how the point of sorrow (for our sins) is to bring us to God, through a changing of our heart and mind (repentance). It is in that place that we recognize the great gift we have been given, and there is thankfulness and even joy. I pray that we would learn to see this in our own lives and in how we treat others, extending to them what we receive from the Lord. Really its an amazing trade - we bring our sorrow, our sins, our guilt and bring them to the Lord, and He gives us forgiveness, salvation and joy. I am reminded of a great song by Darrell Evans called "Trading My Sorrows" whose opening lines are as follows:

I'm trading my sorrow
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

I'm trading my sickness
I'm trading my pain
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord

What a great a great message of hope and joy. Our God has already paid the price for our sin, and extends mercy and has compassion for us all. Rather than reject us, He invites us into relationship. Help us to recognize this reality and turn towards You Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment