Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Welcoming The Holy Spirit

This morning I was reading from Acts 7, which is the story of Stephen, the first martyr. These particular verses caught my attention - Acts 7:51-53 NIV:

[51] “You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit! [52] Was there ever a prophet your ancestors did not persecute? They even killed those who predicted the coming of the Righteous One. And now you have betrayed and murdered him--- [53] you who have received the law that was given through angels but have not obeyed it.”

Specifically, the end of verse 51, where he says "you always resist the Holy Spirit." This is such an important message for us. The danger for us all is that we resist the Holy Spirit, choosing instead to follow our own ways, our own thoughts, our own laws. Stephen's speech reminded them of all the things that God had done to guide them as a people, to bring them into relationship with Him. The people's response to this was consistent through out history, they would ultimately reject God, kill or persecute the prophets that He sent, and instead choose to follow their own hearts.

Recently I have had a few long time friends comment to me about how so many of the people that we know, who once were on fire for God, have walked away or lost any real passion for Him. That just breaks my heart, knowing that good friends have apparently walked away from God, and are choosing their own ways over His. I don't want to judge anyone's lives, for I don't know their circumstances nor their hearts. However, I think in general its quite clear that as a nation, many are walking away from God and choosing to give themselves to whatever they like, and this saddens me greatly. I don't think this happens in anyone's life quickly, but is rather a slow process brought about through little choices made daily, that result in slowly walking away from the things of God.

These thoughts cause me to reflect on my own life and evaluate if there are areas or things that the Holy Spirit has spoke to me that I am resisting? I am challenged to guard my life, and guard the treasure that is God's word in my life, making sure that I do not slowly slide away. I want to constantly be repositioning my feet to be squarely where God wants me, doing what God wants me to be doing. The good news is that the Lord helps me, and as the Holy Spirit reminds me of all that He has said to me, I only need to listen and obey.

That is the problem though - hearing and obeying. Stephen tells them they have uncircumcised hearts and ears. In other words they don't listen, nor do they allow the words that are spoken to change their hearts, and thus their actions. This is how they resist the Holy Spirit. As a parent I used to call this behaviour selective hearing. When I would be telling one of my children to do something they didn't want to do, they would just stand there completely ignoring me, pretending they didn't even hear me.

Lord, help me to hear AND obey. Open my ears and my heart, and remind me of all that You have said to me, so that I might not resist. I want to welcome the Holy Spirit ever moment of every day! I am thankful that somehow, by Your mercy and grace, I am still following You. I am grateful that in spite of the hurt, and wounding and difficult circumstances, I have never thrown in the towel and walked away from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment