Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Of Mercy and Judgement

I am reading from James this morning.

James 2:12-13 NIV
Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom, [13] because judgment without mercy will be shown to anyone who has not been merciful. Mercy triumphs over judgment.

This is an interesting verse for it speaks about the law that gives 'freedom', or in other translations 'liberty'. Its interesting to think of a law that gives freedom, as most laws in some way restrict freedom. The original Greek could be translated freed from slavery, which we can understand as something similar to the emancipation proclamation of this country. Jesus death purchased for us freedom from judgement under the law. He paid the debt, and released us from any obligation. In the same way that some people continued to live as if slavery was still legal, after the Emancipation Proclamation was issued, we can find ourselves still living as if under the old law. We are called to live under the new law, and the best way to tell if we are is if we are operating in mercy or judgement.

Mercy is defined as compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one's power; also : lenient or compassionate treatment (Websters). So, how we treat others who sin either against us, or are caught in sin, would be a good point of examination in our lives. Are we quick to judge someone's actions? Are we mistrustful or even jaded in our response to people? Do we give people a second chance, a third or even a forth?

I am reminded of one of the parables Jesus told about the man who had been forgiven much as follows: Matthew 18:21-35 NIV
[21] "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” [22] Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."
[23] “Therefore, the kingdom of heaven is like a king who wanted to settle accounts with his servants. [24] As he began the settlement, a man who owed him ten thousand bags of gold was brought to him. [25] Since he was not able to pay, the master ordered that he and his wife and his children and all that he had be sold to repay the debt. [26] “At this the servant fell on his knees before him. ‘Be patient with me,’ he begged, ‘and I will pay back everything.’ [27] The servant’s master took pity on him, canceled the debt and let him go. [28] “But when that servant went out, he found one of his fellow servants who owed him a hundred silver coins. He grabbed him and began to choke him. ‘Pay back what you owe me!’ he demanded. [29] “His fellow servant fell to his knees and begged him, ‘Be patient with me, and I will pay it back.’ [30] “But he refused. Instead, he went off and had the man thrown into prison until he could pay the debt. [31] When the other servants saw what had happened, they were outraged and went and told their master everything that had happened. [32] “Then the master called the servant in. ‘You wicked servant,’ he said, ‘I canceled all that debt of yours because you begged me to. [33] Shouldn’t you have had mercy on your fellow servant just as I had on you?’ [34] In anger his master handed him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed. [35] “This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother or sister from your heart.”

So, let us examine our lives and see if we operate out of mercy or judgement, for are called to be merciful. We need to live our lives as under the law that brings freedom and liberty, and extend what we have been given to all those around us, whether in the Body of Christ or not. Let our lives be filled with mercy, not judgement.

No comments:

Post a Comment