Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Heart Motivation


This morning I am reading from Romans 6:

(NIV)Romans 6:16-18
Don’t you know that when you offer yourselves to someone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one you obey---whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? [17] But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance. [18] You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

I like the phrase - "obey from your heart" as that so clearly describes the true motivation for changing one's life to follow Christ, its a heart motivation. Its not a decision for following rules, or some guidelines or even some teaching. It is a relationship of love, that affects our hearts, that changes what we want to do. The pathway is laid out for us in scripture, but if we are not motivated in our heart than we can just as easily change our minds and do something different.

A heart motivation provides lasting change, because with that comes a willingness and longing that rises up in our being. As an example, the difference between being in love with someone and being an acquaintance is significant in our desire to spend time with them, even in our thoughts and actions toward them. Being in love causes us to rearrange our priorities, change our plans, and think about our lives in a new way.

In the same way our response to Christ should be motivated by love. To be in love we need to meet the person, not the idea, not the teaching, not the doctrine. A relationship with Christ should be the core of our faith, and that which motivates us in our lives. A relationship with Christ has the same components as any other relationship - communication, interaction, knowledge of one another, and genuine affection. Ultimately the end result is oneness of mind and heart.

My daily time with Him increases my knowledge of Him and deepens my relationship with Him. Its in these times that I understand Him more, feel His affection for me, and express my affection for Him. Its in this place of relationship building that I become like Him, just as two people who are in love for years and years become more like each other. Its in this place of knowing and being known that my heart connects with His heart, and I want to please Him, and be a part of what He is about and doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment