Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Miracles and Repentance

I was reading was in Matthew, concerning the miracles Jesus did and their purpose:

(NIV)Matthew 11:20-24
Then Jesus began to denounce the towns in which most of his miracles had been performed, because they did not repent. [21] “Woe to you, Chorazin! Woe to you, Bethsaida! For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Tyre and Sidon, they would have repented long ago in sackcloth and ashes. [22] But I tell you, it will be more bearable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you. [23] And you, Capernaum, will you be lifted to the heavens? No, you will go down to Hades. For if the miracles that were performed in you had been performed in Sodom, it would have remained to this day. [24] But I tell you that it will be more bearable for Sodom on the day of judgment than for you.”

As I read these verses, the first sentence caught my eye, for it describes the main purpose of the miracles, that people would repent, or more literally 'change the way they think'. Here was Jesus ministering powerfully in their midst and they weren't changing the way they thought about God. In John 10:25, identifies miracles as revealing who He is:

(NIV)John 10:25
Jesus answered, “I did tell you, but you do not believe. The works (miracles) I do in my Father’s name testify about me,..."

In spite of these great miracles and countless people being healed, delivered and set free, the overall response was one of apparent unbelief, and unwillingness to recognize who He was. They were more willing to hold onto their old ways of thinking than change and recognize that God was truly in their midst.

As I write this, I wonder how often I have had similar responses to God's moving in my life? Do I recognize His presence, His interactions, His moving on my behalf and change the way I think, the way I act and the way I live? I think that the people were probably glad for the miracles, but just wanted to go on living life the way they had all along. How often am I the same way? Good questions for me to ponder, as I know God is after change in our lives, changing us into His likeness, to be His representatives. Lord help me to be willing to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment