Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Humble Leaders

This morning I was thinking about the leadership model in the church and how important it is to have healthy, balanced leaders. I was directed to Daniel and was reading from the first couple of chapters:

(NIV)Daniel 2:27-30
Daniel replied, “No wise man, enchanter, magician or diviner can explain to the king the mystery he has asked about, [28] but there is a God in heaven who reveals mysteries. He has shown King Nebuchadnezzar what will happen in days to come. Your dream and the visions that passed through your mind as you were lying in bed are these: [29] “As Your Majesty was lying there, your mind turned to things to come, and the revealer of mysteries showed you what is going to happen. [30] As for me, this mystery has been revealed to me, not because I have greater wisdom than anyone else alive, but so that Your Majesty may know the interpretation and that you may understand what went through your mind.

I was captivated by Daniel's humble reply to the King. Rather than use the gift of God to position himself before others, or flaunt his abilities, he saw that this was God revealing himself through Daniel. So often those in church leadership get this wrong. They think that God's gifts to them is meant to lift them up above others, and so allow themselves and even encourage others to put them on a pedastal.

God's gifts are meant to Glorify God, and point to Him. People will recognize the benefits of the gifts, but should never use these gifts primarily for personal gain or recognition. It is so important that leaders never lose sight that they are servants and representatives of God, and that is a humble perspective. How quickly pride sneaks in and causes one to think of themselves in the wrong perspective. Lord, please help us all to keep ourselves in proper perspective. I am reminded on Paul's letter to the Philippians:

(NIV)Philippians 2:3-6
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, [4] not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others. [5] In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: [6] Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;

Amen Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment