Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, November 2, 2012

Of Shepherds and Fellow Sheep

This morning I opened my bible to Ezk 34, a whole chapter on shepherds. The following verse definitely hits home:

(NIV)Ezekiel 34:2-6
“Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign Lord says: Woe to you shepherds of Israel who only take care of yourselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? [3] You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you do not take care of the flock. [4] You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally. [5] So they were scattered because there was no shepherd, and when they were scattered they became food for all the wild animals. [6] My sheep wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill. They were scattered over the whole earth, and no one searched or looked for them.

I think the most critical verse is verse 5: "So they were scattered because there was no shepherd..." although there were 'shepherds' in the Lord's eyes there weren't ANY! What a terrible indictment. I think that the main job description for a pastor is right here. Strengthen the weak, heal the sick, bind up the injured, bring back the strays, search for the lost, lead them with gentleness and mercy, lead them to safety and good food, protect them from the wild animals and give them a place to rest and settle.

Interestingly there is also a word for the sheep in verses 17-23.

(NIV)Ezekiel 34:17-22
“ ‘As for you, my flock, this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I will judge between one sheep and another, and between rams and goats. [18] Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet? [19] Must my flock feed on what you have trampled and drink what you have muddied with your feet?
[20] “ ‘Therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says to them: See, I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. [21] Because you shove with flank and shoulder, butting all the weak sheep with your horns until you have driven them away, [22] I will save my flock, and they will no longer be plundered. I will judge between one sheep and another.

How many of the sheep are not aware of others, only after what they can get, and not worried about others. The church is not meant to be a survival of the fittest environment, but rather a place where all are welcomed and all are cared for and nurtured equally. Obviously sick and wounded might require more attention and interaction initially, but all must be nurtured and fed and given a place to rest.

I think we need to learn to have a body mentality, rather than an individualistic mentality, especially here in the US. We are so often concerned primarily with ourselves, we may not even notice how our actions are affecting others (see verse 18-19 above). Let us open our eyes and look around and help each other. Let us speak words of life and give life giving water to drink - (NIV)John 4:14 ..."but whoever drinks the water I give them will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give them will become in them a spring of water welling up to eternal life.”

Amen Lord, help us to become healthy and strong, and concerned for all those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment