Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Jesus' Glory In The Church

This morning I felt like reading John 17:

(NIV)John 17:20-24
“My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, [21] that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. [22] I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one--- [23] I in them and you in me---so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me. [24] “Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am, and to see my glory, the glory you have given me because you loved me before the creation of the world.

The word that stood out to me this morning was 'glory'.

In verse 22 Jesus says that He has given them the glory that we might be one as He is one with the Father. That is an interesting prayer. He is saying that we, the Church, were given His Glory which will bring about unity. I don't know if we have any grasp of that idea. We have been given, and are thus bearers of His Glory. The word translated Glory in the Greek is Doxa which is pronounced dox'-ah.

Its Definition is:
1. opinion, judgment, view
2. opinion, estimate, whether good or bad concerning someone a. in the NT always a good opinion concerning one, resulting in praise, honour, and glory
3. splendour, brightness a. of the moon, sun, stars b. magnificence, excellence, preeminence, dignity, grace c. majesty 1. a thing belonging to God a. the kingly majesty which belongs to him as supreme ruler, majesty in the sense of the absolute perfection of the deity 2. a thing belonging to Christ a. the kingly majesty of the Messiah b. the absolutely perfect inward or personal excellency of Christ; the majesty 3. of the angels a. as apparent in their exterior brightness
4. a most glorious condition, most exalted state a. of that condition with God the Father in heaven to which Christ was raised after he had achieved his work on earth b. the glorious condition of blessedness into which is appointed and promised that true Christians shall enter after their Saviour's return from heaven

I don't see the Church in this light much at all. I believe we will see a change in the Church, a restoration of His Glory. Pastor Bill Johnson believes the Glory will be one of the outstanding characteristics of the next major move of the Holy Spirit in the Church.

Jesus prays in verse 24 that He wants us to see His Glory, and to be with Him where He is...

He is seats in the Throne at the right hand of the Father in Heaven, yet He is present in our gatherings too. Its in that place of His presence that He wants us to experience His Glory. I say Yes and Amen Lord! We want to experience Your Glory. We want to know that the Church is far more than a meeting of good people, but that it's is meant to bear Your Glory - Your magnificence, majesty, brighteness and splendor. That this may result in our perfect unity with each other, and be a light to the world.

1 comment: