Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Sunday, April 14, 2013

On Giving and Blessing

This morning I felt led to read from 2 Corinthians 9:6-15 NIV:

[6] "Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. [7] Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. [8] And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

[9] As it is written: “They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.” [10] Now he who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food will also supply and increase your store of seed and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness. [11] You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God.

[12] This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. [13] Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, others will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. [14] And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. [15] Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!

These verses from Paul, I think, are all that really needs to be said about our response to God's faithfulness in our lives, as our provider. There is a spiritual principle of reaping and sowing that is important to grasp. The Lord is looking for hearts that are like His, and He gave us everything. In our giving we release control of that which we have been given, looking to the giver rather than the gift, and choosing to hold onto the former rather than the latter.

Ultimately for me its become an issue of belief about the heart of the Father. Do I believe that He is stingy and has given me only enough to survive, or does He delight in blessing me with greater abundance? There are times that I don't want to give, out of a spirit of either greed or fear, and at those times, I have found myself choosing to give more, sometimes even double, what I was initially thinking just to fight those unbelieving thoughts and feelings.

I think Jesus described The Father's heart well in Matthew 7:7-12 NIV:

[7] “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. [8] For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened. [9] “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? [10] Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? [11] If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! [12] So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Looking at verse 12 in context of giving, Jesus says "in EVERYTHING, do to others as you would have them do to you" and giving is included in the everything. My heart is to do exactly that; to give as I would hope others would give, to love as I would hope others would love, to care for others as I hope others would care, to forgive as I would hope others would forgive, and in all to make the life of Jesus my example. Ultimately I believe that The Father loves me as His son, and will treat me like one. I believe He is pleased when I emulate His heart through giving freely and loving freely and is pleased to bless me even more. So to sum it up, giving (love, care, mercy forgiveness, money, etc.) leads to blessing, which enables more giving which leads to more blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment