Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Working Out Our Salvation?


This morning I am reading from Philippians 2:9-13 NIV:

[9] "Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, [10] that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, [11] and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

[12] Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed---not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence---continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, [13] for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose."

As I was reading through these verses, I was intrigued by verse 12, which is really unparalleled in the rest of the New Testament. This is one of the scriptures that can be easily taken out of context, and quoted without understanding or communicating the whole rest of Paul's writings, and his theme of grace. As David Guzik comments on this verse:

b. Work out your own salvation: We know that Paul does not mean "work so as to earn your own salvation." Such a statement would contradict the whole of Paul's gospel.

c. Work out your own salvation: What Paul does mean is he calls the Philippians to put forth real effort into their Christians lives. This is not to work their salvation in the sense of accomplishing it, but to work out their salvation - to see it evident in every area of their lives, to activate this salvation God freely gave them.

I like the idea of activation of salvation. This implies application into all facets of our lives. This implies conscious seeking out areas of our thought or actions that do not line up with the reality that we have been given salvation. However, the next verse also makes it clear that God is working in us to will and act, which for me conveys, not so much my own rooting out and applying salvation in every area of my life, as it does going along with God as He accomplishes this within me. My work in this scenario is more about agreement and obedience, than it is about bootstrapping effort on my part.

It reminds me of when we were getting our house ready to sell, and walking around our house wth our Realtors, looking at things that needed to change to make our house more appealing to buyers. We took note as they pointed out things that we should change, and we could either agree or disagree, and choose to do the work or not. As I read these verses, I imagine the Lord guiding me through the areas of my life and identifying things and areas that need to come into alignment with the truth of His gift of salvation, and His purpose for me. As He identifies these things, He also provides the strength of will, but I have to decide to make the change. That is the activation of salvation - my choosing to agree and make the change.

Finally - why fear and trembling? I believe Paul is conveying two things here. First, he was just talking about how Jesus has been enthroned in Heaven to the highest place, and an appropriate response to the King is reverent fear and trembling. Second, as with anything we are asked to do by the King, there is a seriousness that we should apply to our effort. This is not a fear that we will lose our salvation by wrong action, but rather a fear of displeasing our Savior who has given everything to set us free, and who we love and want to please.

It's really all about love and intimate relationship. When I am doing something special for my wife, I think about whether she will be pleased, worry over details, make sure everything is as nice as I can make it, because I want to express my love for her and please her. This is what imagine when I read verse 12, but with a deeper sense of gratitude and reverence. Obedience to the Lord, is not so much duty and work as a response of love, gratitude and recognition of what He has given me.

Amen Lord, help me to activate my salvation in every area of my life, for I am wanting to fulfill Your purpose for me and to please You.

No comments:

Post a Comment