Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Friday, April 19, 2013

Our Rock of Refuge

This morning I am reading from Psalm 71:1-3, 5-8 NIV:
[1] "In you, Lord, I have taken refuge; let me never be put to shame. [2] In your righteousness, rescue me and deliver me; turn your ear to me and save me. [3] Be my rock of refuge, to which I can always go; give the command to save me, for you are my rock and my fortress.

[5] For you have been my hope, Sovereign Lord, my confidence since my youth. [6] From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you. [7] I have become a sign to many; you are my strong refuge. [8] My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.

What a beautiful song by David focusing on the saving, protecting and constant love of God. It is right to sing Your praises all day long, to acknowledge Your goodness and faithfulness, Lord.

Later in the psalm David writes about how he has seen many troubles, yet he was confident in the Lord's love, and knew that he would be restored, refreshed, and comforted again. In verse 3 he calls God his rock of refuge, and although I like the sound of that, the Hebrew word translated refuge, is better translated habitation or dwelling, a place where one lives. What a great image of stability and protection, a dwelling within the rock.

If we are in a place of trouble, stress, fear, doubt, pressure, under attack, feeling the heat, then let us return to our Rock of Refuge, our home of Rock, the Lord, who will always welcome us and protect us, restore us and comfort us. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment