Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Our Marching Orders

Continuing my reading of the accounts of the days after Jesus rose from the dead, I am reading out of Luke 24:36-49 NIV:

[36] "While they were still talking about this, Jesus himself stood among them and said to them, “Peace be with you.” [37] They were startled and frightened, thinking they saw a ghost. [38] He said to them, “Why are you troubled, and why do doubts rise in your minds? [39] Look at my hands and my feet. It is I myself! Touch me and see; a ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.”

[40] When he had said this, he showed them his hands and feet. [41] And while they still did not believe it because of joy and amazement, he asked them, “Do you have anything here to eat?” [42] They gave him a piece of broiled fish, [43] and he took it and ate it in their presence.

[44] He said to them, “This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms.” [45] Then he opened their minds so they could understand the Scriptures. [46] He told them, “This is what is written: The Messiah will suffer and rise from the dead on the third day, [47] and repentance for the forgiveness of sins will be preached in his name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. [48] You are witnesses of these things. [49] I am going to send you what my Father has promised; but stay in the city until you have been clothed with power from on high.”

Again, first things first, Jesus dealt with their fear! I like the way Bill Johnson says it, when you are gathered together afraid that the same thing that happened to your master will happen to you, having someone walk through the walls into your midst doesn't help with the fear. :-)

Secondly, Jesus proceeds to prove that He really was raised from the dead, body, soul and spirit. They understood ghosts and such, and He knew that He must prove beyond any doubt that he was actually alive again. Touching his body, which still bore the wounds, watching him eat real food, both were proofs that it was really Jesus, alive again. This point is critical, for their witness of this fact was what gave them rock solid belief that Jesus was who He said He was, the Messiah.

Thirdly, Jesus opens their minds to understand what was said about Him in scripture and reminded them of what He said as well. The clear understanding of the scriptural basis for what had occurred, was necessary for their ministry of the Word, and their ability to be representatives of the Kingdom.

Fourth, the ministry of repentance and forgiveness of sins is a key message, and must be preached in Jesus' Name to all nations. This message is absolutely essential to the Good News, and one the church cannot live without.

Finally the Holy Spirit has been promised and He will be sent. He will bring power when He comes. I think its so important to remember that sometimes it takes time for the Lord to release His gifts to us. In our society today, instant is in, and if we don't see results in minutes we lose interest and focus. We need to learn to wait on the Lord. Also, when the Holy Spirit comes, His power is evident. This also is so important for the church to remember - the Holy Spirit brings power, and its not something we should be afraid of, but rather something we need desperately.

Thank You Lord for reminding me of these important things, these essential things today. Help me to be courageous, to be a witness to the fact that You are alive, to understand You Word, to be an ambassador of reconciliation and forgiveness, and to be clothed in the Holy Spirit. These are my marching orders.
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment