Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, April 15, 2013

The Light of Love


This morning I am reading 2 Corinthians 4:1-6 NIV:

[1] "Therefore, since through God’s mercy we have this ministry, we do not lose heart. [2] Rather, we have renounced secret and shameful ways; we do not use deception, nor do we distort the word of God. On the contrary, by setting forth the truth plainly we commend ourselves to everyone’s conscience in the sight of God. [3] And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. [4] The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. [5] For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus’ sake. [6] For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of God’s glory displayed in the face of Christ."

Such an interesting verse about the reality of ministry, and how the enemy tries to veil the minds of people so they don't recognize the Good News. It interesting how some churches veil the light of Christ, so as to draw unbelievers to their services, seems a bit backwards to me. However, there is much to be said about going to where people live, to be a light in their present circumstances and situations. I am confident of the message of the Good News of Jesus Christ, and His ability to enlighten even the darkest hearts and minds. We should be ready in all circumstances to let the light of Christ, that is in us, shine out that the world might see.

I am reminded of three other verses:

Ephesians 5:15-16: "Be very careful, then, how you live---not as unwise but as wise, [16] making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil."

Matthew 5:14-16: “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden. [15] Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. [16] In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven."

John 13:34-35: “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. [35] By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”

So let us unveil our hearts and let love shine out to the world. For it is by this love, not our righteousness, or our judgments, but by love that they will know we are Jesus' followers. This light will set us apart, and will draw those the Lord is drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment