Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Be Like God...

This morning I continue to work my way through Paul's letter to the Ephesians.

Ephesians 4:17-24 NIV
[17] "So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. [18] They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. [19] Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, and they are full of greed."

[20] "That, however, is not the way of life you learned [21] when you heard about Christ and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. [22] You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; [23] to be made new in the attitude of your minds; [24] and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

As I was studying a few days ago, my old man is dead, crucified on the cross with Jesus. Much of the battle for all Christians, is learning to live in this reality, and that battle is waged mostly in our minds. As Paul describes in verses 22-24, we need to learn to put off our old self, and be made new in the attitude of our minds. He is describing patterns of thought, ways of thinking that need to change. We need a new attitude that comes from our knowledge and understanding of what He has accomplished for us.

We can put on this new self attitude, this new way of thinking, and need to do so every day. I know for me it is a daily struggle of remembering who I am in Christ, and seeing areas in my life and in my thinking that do not line up with God's word and purpose for me, and choosing to change. I am grateful that I have moved on in many areas, and seen much growth. However, I am also convinced of the long way I have to go to be like Christ.

I also recognize the effect of the world, and how it does affect my thinking and reasoning, causing a darkening of thought or hardening of my heart. For this reason, I choose to minimize the input into my life from the world. I need to get better at this as well, for the influence of the world is all around us and I need to recognize when my mind and heart are being affected. Sometimes the change is so slight that I don't notice the change for a while. I look back and discover I am quite a ways off the path on which I should be walking, and need to change my direction. This is the heart of repentance, changing the way we think, and then changing our actions accordingly.

The awesome reality is that this new self is made to "be like God in true righteousness and holiness". As I learn to put it on daily, taking on the attitude of Christ, and His mind, I will become like Him. Amen Lord Jesus, help me.

No comments:

Post a Comment