Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Benefit of Good Role Models


This morning I am spending some time in Paul's letter to the Philippians, specifically 3:17-21 NIV:

[17] "Join together in following my example, brothers and sisters, and just as you have us as a model, keep your eyes on those who live as we do. [18] For, as I have often told you before and now tell you again even with tears, many live as enemies of the cross of Christ.

[19] Their destiny is destruction, their god is their stomach, and their glory is in their shame. Their mind is set on earthly things. [20] But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, [21] who, by the power that enables him to bring everything under his control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body.

As I was reading through these verses, I was thinking about how helpful Paul's counsel and perspective is here. Verse 17 really is the key verse, Paul encourages them to keep their eyes on those who live as they (Paul and his companions) did. In other words, find yourselves some great Christian role-models and keep your eyes on them. Don't be distracted by the other models of depravity and worldliness that are out there, but maintain your focus, follow their example, and keep your mind set on the Lord and our eternal destiny. Such good advice.

I know I have found people to read about who help inspire me and encourage me in my pursuit of the Lord. I spend most of my reading time in scripture, and as such consider the Lord my prime example. I love Acts and the epistles and letters. However, there is something refreshing in reading about someone's life in Christ in these more modern times. I have several favorites like John G. Lake, A.W.Tozer, Smith Wigglesworth, Graham Cooke, Bill Johnson, Rees Howells, C. Peter Wagner, Randy Clark, and John Piper. These men have been great examples to me of living their lives pursuing the Lord, and I am always encouraged in my own walk when I read their books.

Usually, if I am actively working through one of their books, I find I am much more conscious of my walk, my desire for the Lord, and my desire to grow. I find the converse to be true as well. The less time I spend reading, and soaking in the Word, or stories of men and women pursuing the Lord, the more likely I am to become distracted by the other role model's that the world holds up, and their vain pursuits, and depravity.

I find myself coming back to Paul's advice - literally keep my eyes on those who live their lives as Jesus did by reading. Focus on Jesus, then Paul and the apostles, and those other solid examples of Christian life in our modern world. I need to remember to keep a proper perspective - this world is only a preparation for our eternal destiny.

No comments:

Post a Comment