Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Holy Spirit - Fill Me Up

This morning I am continuing my reading of Paul's letters to Timothy. This one verse grabbed my attention this morning - 2 Timothy 1:7 NIV: "For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline."

Amen Lord, I need all of that! Paul is speaking in the context of the gifts that God gave Timothy, and He has given all of us gifts. He expects us to step into those gifts with courage, hence, the encouragement. He expects us to operate out of His power, filled with His love, and increased in our own self-discipline. The good news is that the Holy Spirit empowers all that, and we can rely on His continual empowering. the Holy Spirit does not fill us one time, and then expect us to manage that power over our life-time, conserving the power that is in us, so we don't run out. Rather, He provides daily refreshing, daily in-filling, daily encouragement.

I know there are times I feel powerless and worn down, and this verse should remind us to return to the true source of all life. Its like we drive around on empty, and don't think about pulling into the gas station to be refilled. If we need courage, power, love or self-discipline, then we should go to our source and be refilled. The admonition that Paul gives Timothy in the preceding verse, is for Timothy to fan into flame those gifts he has received. In other words its Tim's responsibility to recognize he is running on empty and to get himself connected to the source of his life.

In my life, if I am feeling disconnected, weak or powerless, lacking in love or self-discipline, I start listening to a few of my favorite teachers, Bill Johnson, Randy Clark, Heidi Baker, or Graham Cooke. I might pull out a book by Smith Wigglesworth, or John G. Lake. Most likely, I pull out my Bible and start reading. I am immediately encouraged, and I find that I have fanned myself back into being on fire, filled with courage, love, power and more self-discipline.

So my encouragement today is to pull into the refueling station, and get filled. Holy Spirit - fill me up!

No comments:

Post a Comment