Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Participating In God's Nature

This morning I read through Peter's second letter to the Church's. The following verses really grabbed my attention:

2 Peter 1:3-11 NIV
[3] "His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. [4] Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature, having escaped the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.

[5] For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; [6] and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; [7] and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. [8] For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. [9] But whoever does not have them is nearsighted and blind, forgetting that they have been cleansed from their past sins."

[10] "Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election. For if you do these things, you will never stumble, [11] and you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ."

I think verses 3 and 4 are so incredible, if one thinks about the real significance of what Peter is saying. We have been given everything we need to be able to live a godly life - everything, as in nothing is lacking in any of us. We access this through our knowledge of Him, in other words, through relationship. As we get to know His goodness and glory, we start to understand the promises He has made to us. Understanding the relationship and commitment that carries is essential in moving forward in the Lord. These are not idle promises, made off the cuff, or promises that are quickly forgotten, but rather these are promises that open the door to experiencing and participating in the divine nature, the very nature of God. Wow!

This marks sense to me, as it is in the place of committed relationship that I have made the greatest promise of my life, the promise I made to my wife. It is within the context of that promise, that I have known her, and continue to get to know her. I know what she is thinking, often just by looking at her, I know how she will react, and I often times say the say same thing at the same time. It is in the knowing, that I understand and experience her nature, all made possible by the promises exchanged.

My desire is to know the Lord, His goodness and glory so intimately that I will access everything He has for me, uncover every promise and see its fulfillment in my life. My desire is to be as much like Him as possible, reflecting His nature in all I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment