Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Ministering the Truth in Kindness


This morning I am continuing my read of Paul's second letter to Timothy.

2 Timothy 2:24-26 NIV:
[24] "And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. [25] Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, [26] and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will."

This is such an interesting set of verses, as Paul is instructing Timothy on the spirit to minister out of, especially as it regards those who are opponents. Kindness is the first, and thus primary characteristic. Kindness, rather than quarreling - in other words putting people's significance before the need to be right. I think kindness and humility go hand in hand. How different would our world be if those who followed the Christian faith were first and foremost kind and humble?

Paul isn't telling Timothy to roll over on his believes, or weaken what he teaches, but is instructing him to gently (verse 25) deliver the message and let the Lord bring conviction followed by repentance, and salvation. There are those who have stopped preaching the truth in the effort to never offend anyone, and that would be a misreading of these verses. The Truth must be proclaimed, and the spirit in which it is delivered can make a huge difference in how its received. That is Paul's point here.

The opposition, the devil and his forces, will rise up and oppose the truth, but our call is to look past the opposition to the significance of the people, who are being used by the enemy, and to treat them kindly, gently sharing the truth, but never watering down the truth. This is really quite a challenging charge, for I know my flesh wants to fight, wants to prove the correctness of my thinking and beliefs, wants to grind the opposition's nose in it, good and hard, wants to battle the person who is being used to bring opposition. That is why Paul wrote these verses in his letter to the Ephesians 6:10-20 NIV:

[10] "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. [11] Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. [12] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. [13] Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. [14] Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, [15] and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. [16] In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. [17] Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.

[18] And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. [19] Pray also for me, that whenever I speak, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel, [20] for which I am an ambassador in chains. Pray that I may declare it fearlessly, as I should."

Let s fearlessly proclaim the Gospel with kindness, gentleness and humility towards all. Let us remember who it is we are battling, and see the significance of all people. Let us learn to stand firm in our faith, covered in the armor of God, and proclaim the Truth and the Truth will set them free (John 8:32)!

No comments:

Post a Comment