Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 11, 2013

Promises, Permissions and Provisions


I was listening to Graham Cooke this weekend and one of the things that I thought was so important was his statement about the way God governs us. He said God doesn't use rules and regulations, but rather uses promises, permissions and provision. He always deals with us as He sees us, which is from the perspective of who we are in Heaven, rather than who we are presently in time. God is outside of time, so He sees our future as easily as our present. He calls us forward, calls into our purpose and persona (who He sees us as) and always deals with us in that way. The story of the prodigal is a great example:

Luke 15:17-24 NIV
[17] “When he came to his senses, he said, ‘How many of my father’s hired servants have food to spare, and here I am starving to death! [18] I will set out and go back to my father and say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. [19] I am no longer worthy to be called your son; make me like one of your hired servants.’

[20] So he got up and went to his father. “But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him and kissed him.

[21] “The son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’

[22] “But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. [23] Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. [24] For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate."

This is such an awesome story of the Father's love, mercy and compassion. The son recognizes his mistake comes back to Father and confesses all, expecting to have to regain his trust or at the very least take some subservient role. Interestingly, the Father never even acknowledges the son's statement, instead he immediately reinstates him to his full rights (permissions) and identity. The Father doesn't see the lost son, as this complete disappointment, now worthless and damaged son, but rather sees him as he always did - his beloved son. There was no time of re-earning the Fathers trust, no new rules or regulations to guide their interaction, just the restoration of all that once was available to the son. It is not mentioned, but I'm sure this included a new inheritance. The Father holds nothing back, but calls us all into a place of identity and promise, permissions and provision. Jesus closes this story with the profound statement to the older son, who completely misunderstood the Father's heart, "‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours.". Luke 15:31.

Lord, help us to grasp how good You really are and how much You really love us. Help us to embrace our identity in You, listening to who You say we are, rather than the voice of world. Help must to step into the promises, permissions and provision You have for us, for we are with You always and everything You have is ours!

No comments:

Post a Comment