Note:

I apologize for any poor English or writing. This comes directly from my prayer journal, and at 5am I am not always the best writer, nor do I catch all my mistakes. However, I think Mrs. Hausner, my highschool English teacher, would be glad that I am at least still writing.
- Sam

Monday, November 4, 2013

Pursuing God's Promises

Yesterday we talked about the promises of God at church, and this morning my heart continues to be focused on God's promises. We were discussing dreams,visions, prophetic words and such and how they are often God's promises of something He desires to bring about in our lives, or the lives of others. We had a good conversation about our need to participate, our need to adjust to His word, as co-laborers. We talked about how these promises are meant to allow us to see beyond our present situation or circumstances, and see things from God's perspective. These promises are meant to encourage us on, give us hunger for some new reality and help must align ourselves with the Lord's will.

I love these verses from the Letter to the Hebrews, particularly as they relate to the promises of God:

Hebrews 10:19-25 NIV
[19] "Therefore, brothers and sisters, since we have confidence to enter the Most Holy Place by the blood of Jesus, [20] by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body, [21] and since we have a great priest over the house of God, [22] let us draw near to God with a sincere heart and with the full assurance that faith brings, having our hearts sprinkled to cleanse us from a guilty conscience and having our bodies washed with pure water. [23] Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. [24] And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, [25] not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another---and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

These verses speak of our assurance, our confidence, and our ability to draw near to God. We can rely on Him, rely on His promises, for He is faithful! We can spur one another onward, each understanding that we, like all our brothers and sisters have, as of yet, unfulfilled promises and destinies in Christ. We are all called to encourage one another, love each other, and spur each other forward to grab hold of that which God has planned for us.

In my minds eye, I see us all participating in a race, but rather than competing to win, we are focused on everyone else finishing the race, and running their best. Its a completely different motivation and focus. Our call is to encourage everyone to achieve that which they are called to do and be. We are all better for each of our brother's and sister's successes. As Paul said, "Not that I (we) have already obtained all this, or have already arrived at my (our) goal, but I (we) press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me (us)." Philippians 3:12

No comments:

Post a Comment